Boxing is an exhilarating sport to learn, to practice, and to hone. It cultivates physical and mental fitness. It is NOT your best means of self-defence, however. Krav Maga is. We, at Rathbone Boxing Club, would like to invite you to complement your boxing training with self-defence skills.
Krav Maga, literally "contact combat" in Hebrew, is a military self-defence and fighting system developed for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). It is derived from a combination of techniques sourced from boxing, wrestling, aikido, judo, and karate along with realistic fight training.
Krav Maga is known for its focus on real-world situations and its extreme efficiency. It was derived from the street-fighting experience of Hungarian-Israeli martial artist Imi Lichtenfeld, who made use of his training as a boxer and wrestler.
Training covers the study and development of situational awareness to develop an understanding of one's surroundings, learning to understand the psychology of a street confrontation, and identifying potential threats before an attack occurs. It also covers ways to deal with physical and verbal methods to avoid violence whenever possible. It teaches mental toughness, using controlled scenarios to strengthen mental fortitude in order for students to control the impulse and not do something rash, but instead attack only when necessary and as a last resort. Students learn to defend against all variety of attacks and are taught to counter in the quickest and most efficient way.
During this course, participants will learn the following techniques:
* Increase awareness using threat recognition, colour codes of awareness
* Understanding & making use of body language
* Tactical reasoning & choosing an appropriate course of avoidance first or actions later should no other option be available
* Realistic physical techniques designed to work in stressful situations to help you escape, buy time or get help or get to a safer position
* Understanding and making use of adrenal responses in a high-stress situation
* Understanding and making use of measured compliance in an assault situation
* Use of improvised weaponry or legal self-defence weapons/alarms in self-defence
* Ground survival techniques
* Defences against armed assault
Based on interest, we will gladly continue weekly workshops. For starters, though, this introduction to practical self-defence is a no-brainer. While interviewing Guest Instructors, we asked to learn a few techniques. We were warned these techniques would seem like “magic” – it was hard to believe, but they were magical indeed. We can’t get over our excitement about the few techniques we learned in 5 minutes. We can’t wait to learn more. Join us! For your own sense of security, can you afford not to?
DO I NEED TO BE FIT TO DO THIS COURSE?
Not at all, as this course is designed for any individual no matter what the fitness level.
WHAT CLOTHING OR EQUIPMENT DO I NEED?
Besides a notebook and pen, you will only need your normal gym kit, snacks and a bottle of water to keep yourself hydrated whilst training.
Tickets: 3 credits.